Wright-Patterson AFB
3949'N 8402'W

Aviation research and development have continued to flourish at Wright-Patterson AFB where large flying fields were first established in 1917. First, McCook Field was built at what is now the intersection of State Route 4 and Interstate 75. Then Wilbur Wright Field was established where the present runway is. In 1924, Wright Field was established on land donated by the community. On July 6, 1931, Wilbur Wright Field was renamed Patterson Field after Lt. Frank Patterson, who had been killed there in the crash of a DH-4 while flight testing the synchronization of machine gun and propeller. In 1948, the fields became one installation, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.

Today, as in the early 1900s, Wright-Patterson is where weapon systems of the future are conceived, tested and modified by the base's 10,000 researchers, scientists, and engineers. Wright-Patterson has evolved into the largest, most diverse and organizationally complex base in the Air Force. Missions range from logistics management, research and development, education, flight operations, and many other defense related activities. Wright-Patterson AFB is the home of the headquarters of a vast worldwide logistics system supporting the entire Air Force. It also has the foremost aeronautical research and development center in the Air Force.

Wright-Patterson AFB has a work force numbering approximately 24,000 people, making it the fifth largest employer in the state of Ohio and the largest employer at a single location. It is home for more than 70 units representing 7 different Air Force commands and a host of DOD organizations. The base pays out nearly $3 million in salaries every day of the year totaling an annual payroll of approximately $1.2 billion.