Activated on 16 Jun 1952, the 806th Air
Division immediately assumed command of the 44th and 68th
Bombardment Wings plus various support components. The division monitored
and coordinated the manning, equipping, and training of assigned units, for
strategic air warfare on a global scale. This training included air-refueling
sorties. In fulfilling its mission, the division participated in numerous
tactical exercises such as Briar Rabbit and Big Sickle.