The O-11A fire truck, built by American La France, was introduced into USAF service in 1952 and remained in use until the early 1970s. It has a capacity of 1,110 gallons of a water-foam solution for extinguishing aircraft fires and other fires fed by gasoline or jet fuel. It also carried 40 gallons of "CB" (chlorobromomethane) secondary agent, a vaporizing liquid used to extinguish fires in engine nacelles and other confined areas.
The two remote-controlled turret nozzles above the cab can discharge 200 gallons per minute each. There are five additional nozzles, mounted on the underside of the truck, plus 150-foot handlines. The truck is powered by a 310-hp engine, while a separate 200-hp engine powers the fire pump. This permitted the truck to cover rough ground and begin spraying foam immediately upon arrival at a fire.
A crew of five was required for maximum utilization of the truck's capabilities, but one man could operate the truck and its primary agent discharge system without assistance. A crew of three was normal.