|6th Bombardment Wing
6th Air Refueling Wing
Motto: "Ready to
Based at: Walker AFB,
AFB, MacDill AFB
Aircraft: B-36, B-52, KB-29, KC-135, RC-135, TC-135
Status: Active as the 6th Refueling Wing
Bomb Squadrons 24th, 39th, 40th
6th Bombardment Wing, Medium was established on December 20, 1950.
It was activated on January 2, 1951 at Walker
AFB, NM. It then flew the B-29 Superfortress. In
August of 1952, it received the new B-36 Peacemaker and the unit was
6th Bomb Wing (Heavy) .
The B-36 was flown by men of the 24th, 39th and 40th Bombardment
strategic bombardment training from activation in 1951 until 1 Sep 1959.
The 6th was deployed at Andersen AFB, Guam from October of 1955 to
January of 1956.
The Jet Age
In 1957, the 6th Bombardment Wing, Heavy, began
receiving the new B-52E jet bomber. They were flown by it's
existing squadrons. In September 1959, the 24th and 30th
Bombardment Squadrons joined the newly assigned 4129th Combat Crew
Training Squadron to train B-52 and KC-135 crews. The 40th Bombardment Squadron
continued flying operational missions until 10 Jun 1960. From 10 Jun 1960 to 1
Dec 1961 the wing flew a few operational missions in a non-combat ready
status. The 40th
Squadron returned to operational status on December 1, 1961. The other
two bomb squadrons regained tactical status on September 5, 1963. The 39th Squadron
discontinued a few days later, but the 24th and 40th continued global
bombardment training through December 1966, when they phased down for inactivation.
The wing was redesignated the 6th Strategic
Aerospace Wing on May 1, 1962;
On August 1, 1951, the 307th Air Refueling
Squadron was attached to the wing. It flew KB-29 tankers until
deactivated June 16, 1952. On June 25, 1965, the 310th Air Refueling
Squadron was attached to the wing. It flew KC-135s.
The 597th Strategic Missile joined the wing on
Sept. 1, 1961. It's men manned the newly installed complex of
Atlas missiles. Operations were phased out in February 1965 and
the missile squadron was inactivated March 25.
The 6th Strategic Air Wing
ceased B-52 operations in early 1967. The wing was moved without
personnel or equipment to Eielson Air Force Arkansas On March 25,
1967. There it was redesignated as the 6th
It replaced the 4157th Strategic Wing and
assumed the resources and missions of that wing.
In Alaska, the wing flew RC135
strategic reconnaissance missions with an assigned squadron, and, with
KC135s deployed to Eielson from SAC, AFRES, and the ANG, conducted Alaska
Task Force (ATTF) missions to support reconnaissance and numerous exercises
for the Air Force and Navy. From Apr 1968 to Jul 1972 the wing periodically
served as the airborne monitor of the Alaskan ballistic missile early warning
station. The wing maintained a detachment at Shemya AFS, in the Aleutians, and
operated from there February through May 1975, and again in June - September
1976, when Eielson was closed
for repairs due to earthquake damage. It was redesignated the 6th Strategic
Reconnaissance Wing on April 1, 1988. During this time it flew the RC135
and TC-135. The 24th Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron left
Eielson AFB on July 7, 1992. The wing has lost it's operational mission
and was inactivated on September 1, 1992.
Redesignated the 6th
Air Base Wing on December 22, 1993. It transferred to MacDill AFB, Florida on
January 4, 1994. Redesignated 6th Air
Refueling Wing on 1 Oct 1996.
6th Bombardment Group: 1 Jan 1951 - 16 June 1952 (not operational)
24 BS: (later, 24th
Strategic Reconnaissance): Attached 2 Jan 195115 Jun 1952. Assigned
Jun 16, 1952 25 Jan 25, 1967; Assigned
Mar 26, 1967 Jul 7, 1992. Equipped with
used until inactivated on Jan 25, 1967.
30 BS: Attached Jan 2, 1951 Jun 15, 1952, Assigned Jun
16, 1952 Sept 15, 1963.
B-52E from December 1957 and used until inactivated on September15,
40 BS: Attached 2 Jan
1951 Jun 15, 1952, Assigned Jun 16, 1952 Jan 25, 1967. Equipped with
B-52E from December 1957 until inactivated January 25, 1967.
307 AR: Attached Aug 1, 1951 Jun 16, 1952.
310t AR: Assigned: Jun 25, 1965 Jan 25, 1967.
6 AR: Assigned Jan 3, 1958 Jan 25, 1967.
597 SM: Assigned Sept 1, 1961 - Mar 25, 1965.
Crew Training: Assigned Aug 1, 1959 Sep 15, 1963.