93rd Bombardment Wing
"Two Fold Security"
|Based at: Castle
Aircraft: B-29, B-50, B-47, B-52, KB-29, KC-97, KC-135
Status: Inactivated 1993
Bomb Squadrons: 328th, 329th, 330th
|Initial SAC Bomb Group
The 93rd Bomb Group flew B-24s
with the 8th Air Force and was instrumental in the defeat of Nazi
Germany. At the end of the war, it was assigned to the 15th Air
Force, which was assigned to the newly formed Strategic Air Command on March 31, 1946.
The 93rd was one of SAC's first
ten bomb groups. All but it and the 509th
Bombardment Wing were deactivated in 1946.
Original Bomb Groups).
The Early Days
It was established as the 93rd Bombardment
Wing, Very Heavy on July 28, 1947. It was then stationed at Castle Field,
California, which was renamed
Castle Air Force Base on July 12, 1948. During 1947-1948, it flew
B-29s, but soon received the B-50. In 1948, the entire wing
deployed to Okinawa, making it the first SAC bomb wing to deploy to the
Far East in full strength. The B-36 Peacemaker entered SAC's inventory
in 1948. The huge plane dwarfed the earlier bombers. The
93rd, along with all other B-29 and B-50 bomb groups was redesignated
"Medium." Only the B-36 groups were "Heavy."
Aerial refueling began in October 1950 with the
assignment of KB-29 tankers. From 1953 to 1955, the wing flew
KC-97s. KC-135s came on line in 1957.
The Jet Age
The 93rd Bombardment Wing,
Medium, received B-47s in May 1954, but it's involvement with the new
Stratojet was curtailed on June 29, 1955, when the wing received the
first production line B-52B, making it the first SAC bomb wing to
receive the new aircraft. In preparation for the conversion, the
wing had been redesignated "Heavy" six months earlier. The wing was declared combat ready on March 12, 1956, but its primary mission was
actually the training of future B-52 crews. For this purpose, it set up the
4017th Combat Crew Training Squadron which was supposed to handle all B-52 crew
training for the next few years. When the mission of B-52 training became too
great a task for just one squadron, the Wing's other three squadrons took over
the flight training role and the 4017th assumed responsibility for ground
instruction in 1956. The 93rd was SAC's primary B-52 training
organization. The 93rd retained some of it's B-47s until 1956 for
crew training purposes. It was one of the few wings to have both
In 1956, the wings three bombardment squadrons - 328th, 329th and 330th
began receiving the new B-52D. The following year, they began
receiving the E models. Some B-52Bs
remained with the 93rd BW until well into the 1960s, although some of the B-52Bs
were redistributed to the 95th BW at Biggs AFB in Texas and the 22nd BW at March
AFB in California.
On November 24 and 25, 1956, in a spectacular operation known as Quick
Kick, four B-52Bs
of the 93rd BW joined four B-52Cs
of the 42nd BW for a nonstop flight around the perimeter of North America. Four
in-flight refuelings by KC-97 tankers were required for the 13,500 nautical mile
In January 1957, three aircraft of the 93rd Bombardment Wing commanded by
Major General Archie Olds, flew nonstop around the world with the help of
several KC-97 in-flight refuelings. Five aircraft, including two spares, took
off on January 16 from Castle AFB. They flew via Newfoundland, Casablanca,
Dhahran, Ceylon, the Malay Peninsula, Manila and Guam. Bad weather forced them
to land at March AFB. One spare had to divert to Goose Bay when the in-flight
refueling receptacle iced over. The second made a planned landing in England.
The 24,235 mile flight was completed in 45 hours 19 minutes. The commander of
the lead aircraft, Lt. Col. James H. Morris had been copilot of the Lucky
Lady II which had made the first round-the-world flight in 1949.
Inactivated and replaced by 7th Bombardment Wing in 1993
93 BG: Assigned Aug 15, 1947-July 12, 1949 (detached May 15- July
12, 1948: July 12,1948 -
June 15, 1952 (Detached June 2 - Aug 25, 1948 and July 5, 1950-Jan 30,
1951; Not operational
Feb 10, 1951 - June 16, 1952
328 BS: Attached Feb. 10 1951 - June 15, 1952. Assigned June
16,1952 - June 15, 1994.
Flew B-52B (June 1955 -
1965), B-52D (June 1956 - 1958), B-52E (1957-1958 and 1967-70),
B-52F (1958 - 1974), B-52G
(1966 - 1967 and 1974-94) and B-52H (1974-1993)
Inactivated June 15, 1994.
329 BS: Attached Feb. 10,1951 - June 15, 1952. Assigned June 16,
1952 - Sept. 30 1971
(not operational Sept 14 -
30, 1971). Flew B-52B (June 1955 - 1965), B-52D (June 1956 - 1958
and 1965 - 1971); B-52E (1957
- 1958 and 1967 - 1970); B-52F (1958 - 1971) and B-52G
Inactivated Sept 30, 1971
330 BS: Attached Feb. 10,1951 - June 15, 1952. Assigned June 16,
1952 - Sept. 15, 1963.
Flew B-52B (June 1955 -
1963); B-52D (June 1956-1958); B-52E (1957 - 1958) and
B-52F (1958 - 1963).
Inactivated Sept. 5, 1963.
90 AR: Assigned Jan 18, 1954 - Aug 5, 1955 (Detached April 3,- May 18,
1954 and April 1 -
July 16, 1955; Not operational July 20 - August 5, 1955)
93 AR: Attached July 15, 1950-Jan 30, 1951; Feb. 10, 1951-June 15,
1952. Assigned June 16, 1952 -
(Detached April 1 - May 15, 1954; June 29 - Aug 14, 1954; Jan 19 - March
15, 1955, Jun 18 -
July 3, 1955; Nov 2, 1955 - Jan 5, 1957 and Sept 27 - Dec. 24, 1956
340 AR: Attached Oct 20, 1952 - Jan 18, 1954 (Not operational Oct 20,
1952- Jan 15. 1953)
341 AR: Attached June 11, 1954 - Aug 15, 1955 (Not operational June
11-1954 - July 20, 1955)
924 AR July 1 1959 -
329 CCTS: Assigned from an unknown date to an unknown date.
Probably replaced the 4017th CCTS?
4017 CCTS: Established August 1, 1955 and operated B-52B from June 1955
until 1956, when
it assumed a ground training role.