|Based at: Biggs
AFB, Texas, Goose Bay AB
Aircraft: B-36, B-52, KC-135
Status: Inactivated June 25, 1966. Activated Oct 21, 1994 as the 95th Air Base Wing
Squadrons: 334 BS, 335 BS, 336 BS, 412 BS, 917 AR
Established as the 95th Bombardment wing, Medium on
June 4, 1952, and supposedly activated on June 16th at Biggs AFB, Texas.
Redesignated the 95th Bombardment Wing, Heavy on Nov. 8th. However it was nothing more than a
unit until July, 1953.
The 95th was minimally manned through September, 1953 when it
began receiving B-36s and started training with them. By April of the
following year, it was fully operational and supported SAC's global commitments.
From July through November of 1955, the wing was deployed to Andersen AB,
Guam, and operated under control of the 3d Air Division.
B-52 Stratofortress & KC-135 Tankers
Converted to B-52 in 1959, but had little time to enjoy
them. The threat of Soviet Missile attack led SAC to disburse it's B-52
bombers. Two of the 95th Bomb Wings squadrons were assigned to newly
formed strategic wings. This left the wing with one squadron of fifteen
B-52s and a squadron of tankers. This had the effect of making it a
strategic wing, but it was not redesignated as such until August 8,
1966. In January of that year, the wing began phasing down. That was
complete by June 25th when the 95th was inactivated.
Aerial Refueling Mission
The death was short
lived, as was reactivated as the 95th Strategic Wing on August 8th. As
such, it supported SAC's KC-135 alert tanker forces in eastern Canada and
over the North Atlantic until
Discontinued and inactivated June 25, 1966. Redesignated the 95th Air Base Wing on
Sep 16, 1994
and activated on Oct 1, 1994.
All three bomb squadrons flew B-36s and
Assigned June 16, 1952 - June 25, 1966 (Not operational June 16, 1952 - Sept 6,
Flew B-52B from 1959 until inactivated on June 25,
335 BS: Assigned June 16, 1952 - Jan. 15, 1959 (Not operational June 16, 1952 -
Assigned to the 4130th
Strategic Wing on Jan. 15, 1959
336 BS: Assigned June 16, 1952 - July 1, 1959 (Not operational June 16 -1952 -
Assigned to the
Strategic Wing on Jan. 15,
917 AR: Assigned May 1, 1959 - Jan 15,1965