World War II
100th Bombardment Group was one of the most highly decorated Army Air Force
units of World War II. It flew numerous B–17 missions against Nazi
Germany. Bombed many targets in France, suffered devastating losses during
the bombing of Regensburg, supported the Normandy Invasion, bombed St. Lo
and Brest, held defend American forces during the Battle of the Bulge, covered
the airborne assault of the Rhine River and helped reduce Berlin to a pile
of rubble. It returned to the US in December, 1945 and was inactivated at
Camp Kilmer, New Jersey on December 21st., just in time for Christmas.
Redesignated 100th Bombardment Group, Very Heavy, on 13 May 1947.
Activated in the Reserve on May 29, 1947. Inactivated June 27, 1949.
B-47 Stratojet / Tankers
Established as the 100th Bombardment Wing, Medium on
March 23, 1953. Not operational from April 1, to June 24, 1955. Activated Jan. 1, 1956, at Portsmouth AFB, later renamed
Pease AFB, New Hampshire and received B-47s. On August 16, 1956, the 100th
Air Refueling Squadron was added to the wing. The 100th Bomb Wing
performed global strategic bombardment training from April 1956 to February
1966, and conducted air refueling operations from August 1956 to December
1965. It was deployed to Brize Norton RAF Station, England from December
1957 to June 1958. It was one of the last B-47 wings to be inactivated. It's
proud Stratojets flew their last mission - to the aircraft graveyard and
recycling center at Davis Monthan AFB, Arizona.
Moved without personnel or equipment to Davis-Monthan
AFB in June 1966 and absorbed the resources of the 4080th Strategic Wing.
Redesignated the 100th
Strategic Reconnaissance Wing on June 25, 1966; It performed global strategic
reconnaissance with U-2 and drone aircraft using one overseas-based squadron,
the 99th Strategic Reconnaissance Squadron, that was deployed to various
operating locations as needed. In mid-1976, it transferred the drone
operation and associated DC-130 launch and CH-3 recovery aircraft to TAC and the
U-2 operation to the 9th Strategic Reconnaissance Wing at Beale AFB.
The 100th moved without personnel or equipment to Beale
AFB on September 30, 1976 and absorbed the KC-135 aerial tankers of the 17th
Bomb Wing, which had recently been inactivated. Redesignated the 100th Air Refueling Wing, Heavy,
on September 30, 1976. Inactivated on March 15, 1983.
Redesignated 100th Air Division on June 15, 1990 and
activated on July 1, 1990 at
Whiteman AFB, Missouri. It assumed host unit responsibilities and
supported the 351st Strategic Missile Wing, which
was responsible for Minuteman II missile operations, and the 509th BMW, which
was not operational. The
100th Air Division was inactivated on
July 26, 1991.
On February 1, 1992, the 100th was back, having been redesignated
the 100th Air Refueling Wing. It became the host unit at RAF Mildenhall,
where it deployed aircraft for and
managed the European Tanker Task Force, a rotational force that provided air
refueling to US and NATO aircraft in the European Theater.
All of the bomb squadrons flew B-47s
9 BS: Assigned Sept 30, 1976-
99 BS Assigned Nov 1, 1972 - June 30, 1976 (Not operational March 27 -
June 30, 1976)
Assigned Jan 1, 1956 - (Not
operational Feb 12 - June 24, 1966 and Aug 11 - Sept 30, 1965)
350 BS: Assigned Jan 1, 1956 - July 1, 1976 (Detached March 4 - c. April 4,
1958; Not operational
Feb 12 - June 24, 1966)
351 BS: Assigned Jan 1, 1956 - June 25,1966 (Not operational Feb 12 - June 25,
418 BS: Assigned March 1 , 1959 - Jan 1, 1962 (Not operational c. Oct 31,
1961- Jan 1, 1962)
Assigned Aug 16, 1956 - Jan 25, 1966 (Not Operational Dec 22, 1965-June 25,
509 AR: Attached April 8 - July 8, 1958