|449th Bombardment Wing
|Based at: Kincheloe
Aircraft: B-52, KC-135
Status: Inactivated September 30, 1977.
Bomb Squadrons: 716 BS, 908 AR
|Initial SAC Bomb Group
449h Bombardment Group was one of the ten bombardment groups assigned to
SAC when it was first formed March 21, 1946. It flew B-17s, B-24s and
B-25s in the European Theater of Operations during World War II. It
was inactivated August 4, 1946. Of the ten original groups, all
but the 93rd and the 509th were inactivated in 1946. (See
Original Bomb Groups).
Established as the 449th Fighter-Bomber Wing on
March 23, 1953. Redesignated 449th Bombardment Wing, Heavy and activated
on Nov. 15, 1962. Organized on February 1, 1963 at Kincheloe AFB,
Michigan where it replaced the
Wing. Added air
refueling to the mission in July 1963.
The 449th supported SAC combat operations in southeast Asia by furnished KC135
aircraft and crews from November 1965 to December 1975 and B-52 crews
from May 1968 to June 1965. Responsible for phasing down Kincheloe
AFB for closure, July to September 1977.
Inactivated September 30, 1977.
716 BS: Assigned Feb 1 1963 - Sept. 30, 1977. Flew B-52H
previously used by the 93rd Bomb Squadron,
Strategic Wing on Feb 1, 1953 and flew until inactivated.
908 AR: Assigned July 1, 1963 - Sept. 30, 1977